Friday 4 July 2014

Summer Stills

1 Sewing in the shade of an old apple tree



I love sewing outside. It is one of life's great pleasures. Although one has to be careful not to lose the needle in the grass!



The top is made from a French pattern  "Zébulon" by Citronille. I've made three "Zébulon" tops over the last few years and love them all. Each is quite different in its own way because of the different fabrics used and I find them incredibly wearable, either with skirts or jeans. You can see one of my previous (more pastel) versions underneath my tulip apron in this pic from last summer. Citronille produce lovely children's clothing patterns too. You can get these in English, I think, but otherwise the pattern and instructions are in French.



The version I've been sewing this year is in a Provençal "Souleiado" fabric I picked up in France last year. I love the clear brightness of the fabric's colour and design. All "Souleiado" fabrics have that bright clarity about them, inherited direct from their roots in "les indiennes" imported into Provence back at the end of the 16th C. You can read about their colourful and dramatic history here. Happily, after a period in the doldrums in the late nineties, they are back in production again.

2 Making mocha frappuccinos. H adores these and they're dead easy to whip up, I've discovered. Which is useful, seeing that they're quite expensive if you buy the ready-prepared versions and H drinks the stuff in some quantity.


All you do is make a cafetière of very strong coffee. While it's still hot, add three tablespoonfuls of demerara sugar to it, stir and leave it to get cold.

Put into a blender the following:
2 cups (500 ml) of the cold, sweetened coffee
2 cups (500 ml) milk - any type; I use semi-skimmed.
4 tbsps (60 ml) chocolate syrup; to my delight I discover Waitrose stock the classic, American, Hershey's Chocolate syrup so this is what I use (to feed my illusions of being a Starbucks barista!), but any chocolate syrup will do
1 cup (about 10) ice cubes

Blitz and whizz to a nice frothy consistency and pour into a bottle / glasses and serve with a summery paper straw (for that essential 70's retro touch!)


3 Experimenting with some more flowery cooking. This is an elderflower sponge i.e. a normal sponge but with some elderflower cordial added. Tastes very good (fragrant without being too elderflowery) but it sank like the Titanic in the middle. The crater was perfect for filling with summer fruit however and although I feared the cake might not have cooked all the way through, it had. The slightly imperfect appearance was more than made up for by the flavour and texture of what turned out to be one of the most deliciously moist sponges I've ever made. May have to reduce the quantities of syrup added though for less of a caldera on the surface!



4 A pink peony. Everything I love about summer is in the poetry of this flower.


5 Back to the flowery cooking. Encouraged by my elderflower cordial-making this year, I thought I would do the same with some lime blossoms whose honeyed perfume takes me straight back to my schooldays. Summer afternoons spent in the shade of an avenue of ancient lime trees in the school grounds which had once been an 18th C landscaped garden.


The lime flower cordial is more delicate in scent and taste than the elderflower version. Although while it's in the process of steeping you might feel the reverse - it has quite a grassy, slightly overpowering smell at this stage. I've used it here to make lime blossom ice cream. The texture is not very good as the motor-arm on my ice cream-maker died suddenly and unexpectedly and I had to stand and churn this by hand for 45 minutes which wasn't as good. But do not let that put you off - it makes a delicate, very English ice cream that partners English summer fruit like a marriage made in heaven. And if, like me, you have a masculine household that's quite sniffy about flowery cooking, don't tell them what's in it and they will never know! If, of course, you want to restrict consumption, you may want to go ahead and tell them it's packed with girly blossom! With the ingredients unadvertised however, this disappeared dismayingly quickly, despite its imperfect texture!


The recipe came from this book


If you want a fragrant summery read that leads to fragrant summery cooking, I recommend this. Frances Bissell was one of the first cooks whose writing inspired me when I was learning to cook properly rather than as a "Sunday driver, never took a test" kind of cook. She's been eclipsed in the limelight by more recent culinary stars but she is worth rediscovering - her cooking is inspirational and adventurous without being "gimmicky"*, her recipes work and she writes beautifully.

*I say she isn't "gimmicky" although possibly her recipe for Elderflower Stone Ice Cream, which involves beating elderflower syrup into vanilla ice cream on a stone slab with a couple of cleavers, is the exception to this! But see for yourself! Page 69, if you're interested!

6 Wearing my summery hooky apron, finished a while back, but waiting for summery days to be deployed in action.


The aran weight cotton - a mixture of Drops Paris, Rico Creative Cotton and Puppets Lyric - is surprisingly comfortable and practical to wear - perfect for drying your hands on as well as protecting your clothes. The pattern is a Dutch one from Claire and Saskia's book Haken En Kleur. You may remember me hooking up the blue and green squares here back in February.


Wishing you all a very happy and summery weekend - can't believe it's July already!

E x

15 comments:

  1. Superbes toutes ces jolies choses ! Je vois que tu aimes aussi travailler dans ton jardin .... Je te félicite en tout cas pour ton excellent français ! Le gâteau aux fruits rouges me fait envie, miam !!! Bonne journée, ..Géraldine

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truly beautiful, delightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where to start! Everything is lovely in this post. Love your sewing - the tops look really easy to wear and good with everything. The apron is great too - though I don't know if I made one so pretty that I'd want to wear it in the kitchen! Cake and ice-cream and lime cordial all sound fantastic. I suppose we should experiment with making cordial with all sorts of flowers. Would need to make sure none are poisonous though! By the way - is the apron lined?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling top and darling you. The top is marvellous...love it's cut. I looked on the site, and will further investigate.

    The sponge looks delicious.

    And beautiful pictures, as always. You have such an artistic eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer is just wonderful, isn't it? I grew up with lime flower infusions, with a little added honey and ginger. I don't know why I never thought of making lime flower cordial myself, or indeed drying the flowers for the infusions I so love (instead I bring it back from Switzerland, silly me). Your post is full of lovely suggestions, I don't know what idea to pick up first! Have a lovely summer weekend. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful post today, so many gorgeous photos.
    That coffee drink looks yummy as does your cake. Your top is brilliant.
    Have a great weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I am new to your blog! All of your moments are lovely, especially your new top! I loved all of the strawberry things in your last post as well. I look forward to reading more from you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty, pretty, pretty! ♥ Beautiful summerly pics, thanks for sharing :-)
    Happy weekend! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a panache to the things you do that take them a step beyond my level! Love the apron, and the cake and berries makes me hungry! Thanks for another lovely session!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, so lovely. Your tops are gorgeous, versatile and pretty, so very 'you'! Brilliant to have a Frappaccino recipe at last - I love a good tasty cold coffee, but the recipes always seem so flaming fiddly....
    and don't know if I said before, I LOVE the shades of blues you have used for those squares!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty summery post, you have been busy,the tops lovely as is the apron.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful summery post. Thanks for the mocha frap recipe. I love it, but can't afford a quick Costa and have no convenient Starbucks (*sigh* I miss Borders) so this may well become a go-to treat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd never thought about making lime flower cordial - the wonders of the internet - definitely on my "must make" list as is a sponge laced with elderflower cordial. I noticed somebody in the family had found our milkshake maker and has been making retro coffee milkshakes with Camp coffee;maybe I could treat her to some chocolate syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the mocha frappochino recipe! It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post urges me to slow down and savor the days of summer which, like the gorgeous peony image you share, exist for such a brief time. I've been too busy with to-do lists this summer, and need to sit outside sewing or knitting before I find myself back in a classroom for a long school year. Beautiful post. Love, Liz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit me at Mrs TT's and comment. I love to read what you write.